Israel Built a Second Secret Base in the Iraqi Desert — and Baghdad Says It Was American Deception.
On May 9, 2026, the Wall Street Journal reported that Israel had built and defended a clandestine military base deep inside Iraq’s western desert — roughly 180 km southwest of Najaf and Karbala, near the Saudi border crossing at Arar— that the IDF used during the spring 2025 Iran air campaign as a forward special-forces hub, helicopter search-and-rescue staging area, and 1.6 km graded airstrip carved into a dry lake bed.
Today, May 17, 2026, the New York Times and Jerusalem Post reported that the first base was not the only one. A second secret base, also in Iraq’s western desert, was constructed in late 2024 and used during Operation Rising Lion, Israel’s June 2025 strikes on Iran. The Iraqi government, which does not recognize Israel and constitutionally prohibits normalization, says it was not informed. An unnamed senior official in the office of Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani told The New Arab: “Iraq was subjected to American deception.”
A U.S. official, quoted anonymously in the original WSJ report, said only that “American forces were not involved in the matter.”The Iraqi government has launched a sovereignty sweep through the desert, while simultaneously denying the base exists. The contradiction — denying the base while deploying troops to find it — is the story.
- 2Secret Israeli military bases in Iraq's western desert now publicly reported — WSJ (May 9) + NYT/JPost (May 17, 2026)
- 1,600 kmDistance from the first base to Iranian targets — the strategic compression Israel built into the deployment
- 31.66777°NOpen-source satellite-imagery coordinates for the first base, in Iraq's Al-Nukhaib desert (~180 km SW of Najaf)
- 1.6 kmLength of the graded temporary airstrip carved into a dry lake bed at the first base
- 1 / 2Iraqi soldiers killed / wounded in an Israeli strike on Iraqi forces approaching the base in early March 2026 (per WSJ)
- 120 kmRadius of the PMF 'Imposing Sovereignty' sweep launched by Iran-backed militias in response (May 11-12, 2026)
Iraqi PM Mohammed Shia al-Sudani — outgoing prime minister (Coalition of State Administration, aligned with the Coordination Framework). His office has not made an on-record statement. An unnamed senior official told The New Arab the U.S. deceived Baghdad.
Former Iraqi PM Mustafa al-Kadhimi (independent): “If the circulating press reports about the establishment of a secret military base in the Najaf desert are true, then we are faced with a grave breach that undermines Iraq’s sovereignty.”
Lt. Gen. Abdul Amir Rashid Yar Allah — Chief of Staff, Iraqi Armed Forces; traveled to Al-Nukhaib May 12 to inspect units.
Maj. Gen. Tahseen al-Khafaji — Iraqi Defense Ministry media director: “No base, no airstrip, nor any sign that any administrative or military work had been conducted there.”
Lt. Gen. Qais al-Muhammadawi — Deputy Commander of Joint Operations: “There is no agreement or consent for any force to be present in this location.”
Shaker Abu Turab al-Tamimi — MP, Badr Organization (Iran-aligned bloc): asserts an “American-Israeli” base remains operational.
Ali al-Hamdani — PMF commander of Middle Euphrates operations: announced “Imposing Sovereignty” sweep covering a 120 km radius.
Esmaeil Baghaei — Iranian MFA spokesperson: “Tehran does not rule out any possibility regarding the Israeli regime”; warned Iraq.
IDF Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Effie Defrin — NO on-record statement on either base.
PM Netanyahu / Defense Minister — silence as of the reporting window.
U.S. CENTCOM / Pentagon / SecDef — silence. Only the unnamed WSJ-quoted U.S. official has spoken, denying U.S. involvement.
Per the WSJ report and corroborating Times of Israel, JPost, and i24NEWS coverage: the first base sits in Iraq’s Al-Nukhaib desert, on Route 22 between Najaf and the Saudi border crossing at Arar. Open-source satellite analysts geolocated the site to 31.66777°N, 42.44849°E, with imagery dated March 8, 2026 showing a graded ~1.6 km temporary airstrip on a dry lake bed.
Function: Forward logistics and special-forces hub for the Israeli Air Force; search-and-rescue staging for downed pilots over Iranian territory.
Strategic compression: ~1,600 km closer to Iranian targets than any base inside Israel proper.
Tipped off by: A Bedouin shepherd who spotted the helicopter activity. He was reportedly killed in an Israeli helicopter strike after being identified.
Iraqi force engagement: Israel struck Iraqi forces approaching the base in early March 2026 to protect operational security — 1 Iraqi soldier killed, 2 wounded, per WSJ.
U.S. position (anonymous WSJ source): “American forces were not involved in the matter.”
U.S. position (anonymous Iraqi PMO source via The New Arab): “Iraq was subjected to American deception.”
Today’s reveal: the first base was not the first base. A second, earlier Israeli base in Iraq’s western desert was reportedly constructed in late 2024 and used during Operation Rising Lion, Israel’s June 2025 air campaign against Iran. Specific coordinates have not been disclosed.
The second base predates the February 2026 U.S.-Israeli air campaign, which means it was built and used during a period when the U.S. was still publicly insisting Iraqi sovereignty would not be violated by allied operations. Official Iraqi, IDF, U.S., and Iranian reactions to the second-base reveal specifically are still developing as of the morning of May 17, 2026.
“If the circulating press reports about the establishment of a secret military base in the Najaf desert are true, then we are faced with a grave breach that undermines Iraq's sovereignty.”
Former Iraqi PM Mustafa al-Kadhimi · independent · May 11, 2026
The official Iraqi posture is internally contradictory. The Defense Ministry says there is no base. The Joint Operations Command says there is no consent for any foreign force to be in that location. The Chief of Staff of the Iraqi Armed Forces flew to the desert to personally inspect. The Iran-backed PMF launched a 120-km-radius sovereignty sweep through Najaf, Karbala, and the western desert. All four things are true simultaneously.
“No base, no airstrip, nor any sign that any administrative or military work had been conducted there.”
Maj. Gen. Tahseen al-Khafaji · Iraqi Defense Ministry media director · May 2026
“There is no agreement or consent for any force to be present in this location.”
Lt. Gen. Qais al-Muhammadawi · Deputy Commander of Joint Operations · May 2026
The denials are the diplomatic surface. The search is the operational reality. The PMF — which includes Kataib Hezbollah and Badr Organization units — is the substantive Iranian-aligned response. Iraqi MP Shaker Abu Turab al-Tamimi(Badr) is publicly asserting that an “American-Israeli” base remains operational. Two competing Iraqi state narratives are running side by side.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry response was measured. The IRGC’s response was operational — through Iraqi proxies.
“Tehran does not rule out any possibility regarding the Israeli regime. Israel's behaviour in the region shows that they do not respect any limits of red lines.”
Esmaeil Baghaei · Iranian MFA spokesperson · May 2026
Baghaei said the matter would be raised with Baghdad — meaning Iran will demand a public Iraqi confirmation that the bases are gone. The Iraqi government cannot honestly provide that confirmation without first acknowledging the bases existed, which it is refusing to do. The diplomatic loop closes nowhere.
CENTCOM, the Pentagon, and the Secretary of Defense have not made on-record statements about either base. The only U.S. quote on the public record is an anonymous official to the WSJ saying U.S. forces were “not involved in the matter.”
That position is directly contradicted by The New Arab’s unnamed senior source in Iraqi PM Sudani’s office, who says U.S. forces provided cover. The U.S.-Iraq Strategic Framework Agreement bars use of Iraqi territory for attacks on third countries. The WSJ’s “with U.S. knowledge” framing — even softened to “not involved” — raises material questions about that agreement and about the still-fragile U.S. troop presence in Iraq.
i24NEWS analysisargues the WSJ leak itself was a deliberate Israeli strategic reveal — telegraphing operational reach into ungoverned Iraqi desert space, daring Iran-aligned militias to attempt a response, and locking in a forward-deployment posture that Iran cannot dislodge without escalating against the United States. The pattern fits Israeli doctrine post-October 2024: stage from forward Arab territory to compress strike distance, then let the disclosure reset the deterrence equilibrium.
For Iraq, the situation is the worst kind of bind. Iraqi constitutional law (2022) criminalizes normalization with Israel up to the death penalty. A confirmed Israeli base on Iraqi soil — even in ungoverned desert — is a constitutional-level humiliation for any sitting government, particularly for an outgoing Sudani administration heading into elections. The denial is required by domestic politics. The search is required by sovereignty. Neither can resolve.
Israel built a clandestine military outpost in Iraq's western desert to support its air campaign against Iran, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Two Israeli bases. One Iraqi desert. One Iraqi government that is publicly denying the bases while privately deploying troops to find them. One U.S. official anonymously denying involvement and one Iraqi official anonymously alleging American cover. The Israel-Iran shadow war just acquired a permanent forward operating address inside a country that constitutionally refuses to recognize Israel. The diplomatic loop closes nowhere. The next move is Tehran’s, through the proxies it already has on the ground.