Secret Service Killed a 21-Year-Old
Maryland Man at a White House
Checkpoint Tonight. He’d Been Banned by a Judge.
Shortly after 6:00 PM ET Saturday, May 23, 2026, a 21-year-old Maryland man named Nasire Best walked up to the U.S. Secret Service checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, removed a pistol from a bag, and opened fire on Uniformed Division officers. The officers returned fire. Best was struck, transported to George Washington University Hospital, and pronounced dead. A civilian bystander was also struck and is in critical condition.
No Secret Service officer was hit by gunfire; one was taken to a hospital as a precaution. President Donald Trump (R) was inside the residence and is unharmed. The White House was briefly placed on lockdown and then cleared. Two hours after the shooting, White House Communications Director Steven Cheung posted on X that the President was “working at 8:00 PM.”
Best had been here before. In June 2025 the Secret Service detained him after he blocked a White House entry lane and claimed to be “God”; he was committed to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington. A month later, in July 2025, he was arrested again attempting to push into a White House complex driveway, and a D.C. Superior Court judge issued a formal stay-away orderbarring him from the grounds. CNN, citing investigators, reports that a review of Best’s social media after the second arrest turned up posts in which he claimed to be “the real” Osama bin Laden and at least one post indicating a desire to harm the President. The stay-away order was the system’s last formal restraint on his presence at the complex. It did not stop him from reaching the checkpoint.
- 21years oldNasire Best · Maryland · D.C.-area resident · documented prior mental-health hold
- 2prior arrestsJune 26, 2025 (claimed to be ‘God’, psychiatric commitment) + July 10, 2025 (driveway breach) · USSS
- 1stay-away orderD.C. Superior Court · post-July 2025 · barred Best from White House grounds
- 1bystander hitcivilian struck during exchange · critical at GW Medical Center · source of round not yet publicly determined
- 0USSS hitno Secret Service officer struck by gunfire · 1 hospitalized as a precaution
- 27dayssecond presidential-security incident since April 27 WHCA dinner shooting at Washington Hilton
The post Nasire Best approached is on the northwest corner of the White House complex, opposite the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. It is an outer-perimeterUniformed Division checkpoint — a screening post that filters foot traffic and vehicles before the wrought-iron fence line, not a post inside the grounds. The checkpoint is exactly the kind of position Secret Service Director Sean M. Curranreferenced after the April 27 Washington Hilton incident when he said “our multi-layered protection works.” Saturday tested the proposition again at a different post, under different facts, against a different attacker.
Per the Secret Service’s preliminary statement, Best approached the post, removed a pistol from a bag he was carrying, and began firing at the officers stationed there. The officers returned fire. Wire reporting from Reuters and AP puts the total exchange in the range of 15 to 30 rounds. Inside the complex, ABC News correspondent Selina Wang and CBS News correspondent Aaron Navarro recorded the gunshot audio; reporters in the briefing room were told to shelter in place. The lockdown lasted under an hour.
“The suspect allegedly approached a Secret Service checkpoint near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, removed a weapon from his bag and began firing at officers stationed there. Secret Service agents returned fire and struck the suspect.”
U.S. Secret Service · preliminary statement · May 23, 2026
The most-watched eyewitness clip of the night came from inside the White House grounds. ABC News chief White House correspondent Selina Wang was filming an iPhone social-video segment on the North Lawn when the gunfire began. Her clip, posted to X within minutes, was viewed roughly 3 million timesby Saturday evening — the night’s defining first-person artifact.
I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now.
CBS News correspondent Aaron Navarro was on the North Lawn at the same moment for an unrelated story; his crew’s tape captured the same volley. Navarro’s coverage from the press-briefing lockdown is the cleanest minute-by-minute timeline of how reporters on the grounds experienced the incident.
In the White House briefing room on lockdown after gunshots near the complex. Secret Service agent at the door. FBI, ATF, and MPD now responding alongside USSS. Suspect down per official statement.
Known:the suspect’s name (Nasire Best, 21, Maryland), the location (17th & Pennsylvania NW checkpoint), the approximate time (~6:00 PM ET), the outcome (Best deceased, bystander critical, no USSS gunshot injuries), and that Best had two documented 2025 USSS encounters and a D.C. Superior Court stay-away order against him.
Not yet established publicly:the caliber of the pistol; whether the round that struck the bystander came from the suspect or from Secret Service return fire; the motive; the suspect’s precise residential address; the identity of the bystander.
Not alleged in any federal filing: a political or ideological motive. The investigation is in the evidence-collection phase; FBI, ATF, and the D.C. Metropolitan Police are jointly on scene under USSS lead.
Tonight, U.S. Secret Service personnel were involved in an officer-involved shooting at a security checkpoint near the White House complex. One subject is deceased. One bystander was injured and transported to a local hospital. No USSS personnel were struck by gunfire. The investigation is being conducted in coordination with the FBI and the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department.
CNN’s investigative desk — reporting alongside NPR, Newsweek, the Sunday Guardian, and FOX 5 DC — identified Best as a 21-year-old Maryland resident who had been living in the Washington metropolitan area for years. He had no public criminal record that rises to the level of a federal indictment in the time before Saturday. The record that exists is administrative and clinical: two Secret Service contacts, one psychiatric commitment, and a stay-away order.
On June 26, 2025, Best blocked a vehicle entry lane at the White House and, per Wikipedia’s entry citing contemporaneous USSS reporting, told officers he was “God” (some outlets reported the claim as “Jesus Christ”). He was detained and committed for emergency psychiatric evaluation at the Psychiatric Institute of Washington under D.C. mental-health hold procedures.
Two weeks later — July 10, 2025, by the best public dating — he attempted to push into a White House complex driveway. USSS arrested him. A D.C. Superior Court judge issued a formal stay-away orderbarring him from the White House grounds and adjacent restricted areas. The order was the legal system’s last formal restraint on his presence at the complex.
CNN’s investigators, reviewing Best’s case after the second arrest, recovered social-media posts attributable to him that included a claim to be “the real” Osama bin Laden and at least one post indicating a desire to harm President Trump. Those posts are part of the FBI’s motive review now. They are not, on their own, an established trigger for Saturday’s incident — the federal investigation has not assigned a motive publicly.
Nasire Best is deceased. He cannot be charged. He cannot stand trial. He cannot, in any meaningful legal sense, be presumed innocent or guilty — the moment of his death extinguished the question. What can be presumed innocent is everyone else named in the prior-arrest history of this case, including anyone who participated in his psychiatric evaluation, the judge who issued the stay-away order, and anyone who may yet be identified as having missed a referral or a notification that could have prevented the May 23 encounter. None of those people have been accused of any wrongdoing.
A stay-away order is a court-imposed restriction barring a named person from a specified location. In D.C., violation of a stay-away order is itself a separate criminal offense and the basis for a fresh arrest on sight. It is not, however, a kinetic restraint: there is no physical mechanism that prevents a person from walking down the sidewalk on the opposite side of 17th Street. The order works by deterrence and by the availability of immediate arrest the moment it is breached.
The hard question Saturday will eventually generate — once FBI and USSS finish their investigation and any internal after-action review is filed — is whether USSS’s standing “persons of interest” flagging system was cued on Best in real time as he approached the checkpoint, or whether he was processed only as an unknown adult male approaching a security post. The agency does not publicly discuss its alerting protocols. The presence of the stay-away order in his D.C. court record was a matter of judicial record, not an automatic perimeter-triggered alarm.
One civilian was struck during the exchange. The bystander’s identity is being withheld pending family notification per standard Metropolitan Police protocol. As of publication, the person is reported in critical condition at George Washington University Hospital. It is not yet publicly determined whether the round that struck the bystander came from the suspect or from Secret Service return fire. That determination, once ballistics analysis is complete, will be material to any after-action review.
17th & Pennsylvania is one of the most foot-trafficked blocks in central Washington. The Ellipse, the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, the Treasury, and the tourist-pedestrian corridor along Pennsylvania Avenue all channel through the immediate area. A 6 PM Saturday window puts tourists and joggers on the sidewalk in volume. The bystander casualty is a hazard of an attempted attack at a checkpoint embedded in an open pedestrian environment — not, in itself, a finding about USSS conduct.
Saturday’s shooting is the second time in less than four weeks that a Secret Service outer-perimeter checkpoint has come under attack. On April 27, 2026, a separate suspect breached an outer-perimeter screening post at the Washington Hilton hotel during the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, fired on a Secret Service agent at point-blank range, and was apprehended. The agent survived; the incident triggered a national security review and a Director-led press conference. PBS NewsHour later raised questions about a momentary magnetometer-removal window that the suspect appeared to exploit.
The two incidents do not appear to be connected. Different suspects, different motives (one apparent ideological, one apparent mental-health), different posts. The pattern worth noting is structural: in both cases, the attack was stopped at the outer perimeter, and in neither case did the assailant reach the protectee’s inner ring. That is the Secret Service’s baseline performance standard. It is also the standard that has now been tested twice in a month.
FBI Director Kash Patel was the first principal on X to confirm a federal-agency response. The Bureau, ATF, and the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department are jointly assisting USSS, which has the lead jurisdiction on White House complex security under federal law.
FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds — we will update the public as we're able.
The first sign from inside the White House that the President was safe and back at work came from Communications Director Steven Cheung, roughly two hours after the shooting.
President Trump is working at 8:00 PM.
House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) issued a statement crediting the Secret Service and asking for prayers for the wounded bystander. Senate Majority Leader John Thune (R-SD) issued a parallel statement. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin (R)— confirmed by the Senate 54-45 in March 2026 to replace fired Secretary Kristi Noem — was briefed by USSS Director Sean M. Curran.
“We are grateful for our brave Secret Service agents who took quick, decisive action to protect President Trump, and our prayers are with the victims of tonight's senseless shooting for a speedy recovery. Our law enforcement officers run into harm's way each day to keep us safe, and they deserve our unwavering support.”
House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) · May 23, 2026
As of publication, no Truth Social post from President Trump on tonight's incident has been released. White House Communications Director Steven Cheung's X post confirming the President was working at 8:00 PM ET is the only direct White House signal so far.
Paraphrased commentary · not a verbatim post
Status note · This card will be updated with a verbatim Truth Social post if and when President Trump publishes one. As a matter of editorial standard the page does not embed unverified postIds.
After April's WHCA-dinner attack at the Washington Hilton, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt characterized the event as 'hijacked by a depraved crazy person who sought to assassinate the President and kill as many top Trump administration officials as possible.' She praised the agent who 'took a bullet to the chest and immediately moved to neutralize the shooter,' and on the following Monday dismissed online conspiracy theories about the shooting as 'crazy nonsense.' Her line is the documented White House voice on USSS performance from the prior incident; expect a similar register on tonight's.
Paraphrased commentary · not a verbatim post
Editorial pairing · Leavitt's documented framing of the April 27 incident is the predicate she will most likely build on for tonight.
The chain of command responding to Saturday’s shooting is fully a Trump second-term appointment chain — meaningful context because all of these officials are running their first major White House complex incident together and will own the after-action review.
President:Donald J. Trump (R) — second term, sworn in January 20, 2025.
Secretary of Homeland Security:Markwayne Mullin (R) — former U.S. Senator (R-OK), confirmed 54-45 by the U.S. Senate in March 2026 after President Trump fired Secretary Kristi Noem.
Director, U.S. Secret Service:Sean M. Curran — appointed by President Trump; previously led the President’s detail. Faced first major scrutiny after the April 27 WHCA dinner incident.
FBI Director:Kash Patel — confirmed by the U.S. Senate February 2025.
U.S. Attorney General:Pam Bondi (R) — confirmed February 2025. Acting AG Todd Blanche (R) has at various points in 2026 covered DOJ operational signoffs.
D.C. Mayor (jurisdictional response, not federal): Muriel Bowser (D-DC) — MPD operates under D.C. authority and assists USSS on White House complex incidents under long-standing mutual-aid protocols.
The investigation is in evidence-collection and motive-review phase. As of publication, the public-record questions still unanswered are:
- Motive.The CNN/NPR-cited social-media posts (the “real Osama bin Laden” claim and the Trump-harm post) are inputs to the FBI’s motive review, not a finding. No motive has been publicly assigned.
- The bystander’s ballistics. Whether the wounded bystander was struck by suspect fire or by Secret Service return fire is a question ballistics analysis at GW and the FBI lab will eventually answer.
- The stay-away order’s operational status. Was Best flagged in real time as he approached the checkpoint, or processed initially as an unknown adult male? USSS does not publicly discuss its alerting protocols; any after-action review will pressure-test this question.
- The pistol.Caliber, origin, registration, whether it was lawfully acquired — standard ATF trace questions that have not been publicly answered.
- Mental-health-system continuity.Best was committed in June 2025 for psychiatric evaluation. The arc between that hold and Saturday’s shooting — outpatient treatment, medication compliance, any subsequent clinical encounters — is a question for the eventual clinical and law-enforcement review, not a public finding now.
- The WHCA-dinner comparison. Whether the two outer-perimeter checkpoint attacks in 27 days share any structural lesson for USSS post-deployment, magnetometer policy, or screening-staff staffing levels.
This page will be updated as the Secret Service, FBI, and Metropolitan Police release additional information through the night and into Sunday.