Skip to content
Society · Crime Problem · Phoenix, Arizona · August 11, 2026

A 17-Year-Old Walked Out of the Arizona Desert Into a Chipotle. She’d Just Escaped the Two Men She Met on a Dating App.

A 17-year-old girl walked into a Chipotle in Phoenix in June 2026 and asked an employee to call 911. According to Phoenix police, she said she had just been left in the middle of the desert by two men she had met through a dating app — men who had driven six hours to pick her up in the first place, after she told them she was 18.

Phoenix police arrested Brodie Hester, 21, of Florence, and Preston McKee, 22, of Apache Junction, on August 5, 2026, each on felony counts of sexual conduct with a minor. Hester faces three counts and a $251,000 bond; McKee faces two counts and a $200,000 bond. Both are scheduled for an initial court appearance Wednesday, August 12. Neither has entered a plea, and both are presumed innocent unless and until a court finds otherwise.

The case is disturbing on its own terms. It is also a case study in a specific, well-documented gap: the app where the men found her, Duet, verifies that a user’s face matches their photos — not that the birthdate they typed in is true. That is the difference between an app that can say who you are and one that can say how old you are, and it is a gap researchers and federal lawmakers have flagged for years without much changing.

§ 01 / What Phoenix Police Say Happened

According to police and court documents reported by Phoenix outlets, the girl and Hester began talking on Duet, and she told him she was 18 and trying to get away from an abusive situation at home in New Mexico. Hester and McKee drove roughly six hours from the Phoenix area to New Mexico in a blue BMW to pick her up, then brought her back to Arizona.

The men learned she was actually 17 after a New Mexico detective called them and they found a state identification card among her belongings, police say. At that point, according to police, the men tried to buy her a bus ticket home — an attempt that fell apart over a scheduling mix-up. Instead of putting her on a bus, police say, they took her to a house and later to a hotel room, where she told forensic interviewers they bound her and sexually assaulted her, including after they knew her real age. Detectives say Hester admitted to having sex with her four times; McKee told investigators he “did not think it was a big deal” because they had already had sex before he learned she was underage. These are police accounts of statements made during questioning, not sworn testimony, and no court has yet weighed any of it.

The girl told police the men eventually left her in the desert, and she walked until she reached the Chipotle and asked to call 911. Phoenix officers arrested both men on August 5 near 7th Street and Buckeye Road.

X
Local 12 / WKRC-TV Cincinnati
@Local12 · Aug. 2026· paraphrase

A 17-year-old girl walked into a Chipotle seeking help after she says two Arizona men tied her up and left her in the desert. Both men are now facing felony charges.

Keep Reading
The FBI's 2025 Crime Data Shows the Largest Violent-Crime Drop Since 1936
Society · Data & Analytics
The FBI's 2025 Crime Data Shows the Largest Violent-Crime Drop Since 1936
Read →
§ 02 / A Face-Verified App, Not an Age-Verified One

Duet is not a fringe product. It markets itself on a “face-check” system: a blue checkmark that appears on a profile once the company confirms, via a photo scan, that the person behind the account is, in the app’s own words, “the person in their photos, not robots.” That system did exactly what it promises — it verifies identity. It does not verify age. Duet’s own guidelines state plainly that “you must be at least 18 years old to use Duet,” but that requirement rests on a self-reported birthdate, the same honor-system limitation that has defined nearly every major dating platform since the category existed.

A single pair of tracks across the sand, leading toward the only light on the horizon. Civic Intelligence illustration

That gap is, according to police, precisely how a 17-year-old was able to present herself as an adult on an adult-only platform, then travel across two states with two men who had no independent way of knowing she was a minor until a New Mexico detective called. Dominique Roe-Sepowitz, director of Arizona State University’s Office of Sex Trafficking Intervention Research, told Arizona’s Family the case reflects a pattern her office sees routinely — traffickers and predators working the same apps built for adults looking to date, because the verification built into those apps was never designed to catch a minor determined to lie about her age.

§ 03 / Not an Isolated Failure

The Phoenix case fits a pattern researchers have been documenting for years. A Brigham Young University nursing team reviewed 3,413 sexual-assault forensic exam records from Utah gathered between 2017 and 2020 and found that 14% of the acquaintance rapes in that data — out of nearly 2,000 identified cases — occurred during the victim’s first in-person meeting with someone she had matched with on a dating app. Lead researcher Julie Valentine described the pattern directly: predators use the apps as hunting grounds, and the resulting assaults tend to be more violent than average, with roughly a third of victims reporting they were strangled.

The industry’s largest player has its own documented record on the underlying problem — matching, not minors, but it illustrates the same failure to act on reports. An investigation published by The Markup in December 2025 detailed how Match Group, which owns Tinder and Hinge, was told as early as 2020 that a Denver cardiologist, Stephen Matthews, was drugging and assaulting women he met through its apps. Match Group did not ban him until his 2023 arrest; by then, at least 15 women had come forward. Matthews was convicted on 35 counts in 2024 and sentenced to 158 years to life. Six of his victims are now suing Match Group, alleging the company’s app left reported users active — in Matthews’s case, even promoted as a featured match — for years after the first complaint.

The rise of dating apps as a playground for predators — 60 Minutes Australia
Keep Reading
For 25 Years He Posted Casting Calls Under a Stage Name. Prosecutors Now Say That Name Was How He Found His Victims.
Society · Crime Problem
For 25 Years He Posted Casting Calls Under a Stage Name. Prosecutors Now Say That Name Was How He Found His Victims.
Read →
§ 04 / What Comes Next in Court

Hester and McKee were booked on charges under Arizona Revised Statutes § 13-1405, sexual conduct with a minor. Under that statute, conduct with a victim who is at least 15 is at minimum a class 6 felony, rising to a class 4 felony carrying mandatory prison time — no probation, no suspended sentence — when the defendant is both over 21 and more than five years older than the victim. Which classification ultimately applies to each man is now the Maricopa County Attorney’s call; the office, led by Rachel Mitchell (R), had not filed an indictment as of this writing and will make that charging decision after Wednesday’s initial appearance.

Both men remain presumed innocent. Police say Hester told detectives he and the girl had sex four times, including after he says he learned she was 17; police say McKee told detectives he didn’t think it was significant given their earlier encounters. Those are accounts of police interrogations, not courtroom testimony, and neither man has been convicted of anything.

Police warn of 'To Catch a Predator' dating app scheme — ABC News
§ 05 / What Parents and Users Can Actually Check

The mismatch between what these apps verify and what they claim to prevent has drawn federal attention before, without much follow-through. In 2020, the House Oversight Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy, then chaired by Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-IL), sent formal inquiries to Match Group, Grindr, Bumble, and The Meet Group after reporting found some platforms restricted sex-offender screening to paying subscribers. “Protection from sexual predators should not be a luxury confined to paying customers,” Krishnamoorthi said at the time. Utah passed its own fix in 2023 — a law backed by state Rep. Angela Romero (D) requiring dating apps operating in the state to post in-app safety disclosures — after the BYU research became public. Arizona has no equivalent law on the books.

For families, the practical defenses are the ones investigators repeat after nearly every case like this one: video-chat before meeting in person, tell someone where you are going and confirm a check-in time, meet the first time in a public place of your own choosing, and treat any pressure to keep the relationship secret from parents or friends as a red flag on its own. None of that replaces the age-verification system dating apps have so far declined to build. It is what is left for families to do until they build it.

The Bottom Line

Phoenix police say a 17-year-old told them she was bound and left in the desert by two Arizona men — Brodie Hester, 21, and Preston McKee, 22 — whom she met through the dating app Duet after telling them she was 18. Both men were arrested August 5 on felony sexual-conduct-with-a-minor charges and are scheduled for an initial court appearance August 12; both are presumed innocent pending trial. Duet’s face-verification system confirms a user’s identity, not their age — a gap researchers have tied to a documented pattern of dating-app-facilitated assault, and one Congress and at least one state legislature have tried, with limited success, to legislate around.

More From Civic Intelligence
Sources & Methodology · 13 Sources
The victim in this case is a minor and is not named here, consistent with standard practice. Brodie Hester and Preston McKee have been arrested and charged but not indicted or convicted; both are presumed innocent unless and until a court finds otherwise. Descriptions of the alleged assault are deliberately restrained and drawn from police accounts reported by the outlets above — this piece does not reproduce graphic detail. The Maricopa County Attorney's Office had not filed an indictment as of this writing; charging decisions following the men's August 12, 2026 initial appearance are attributed to Phoenix Police Department statements as reported by Arizona outlets, not to a grand jury record.