Two Ex-NBA Players Just Declared for the WNBA Draft. They’re Testing the League’s Own Rules.
- 2 former NBA players who declared themselves eligible for the 2027 WNBA Draft within hours of each other on Aug. 7 — Forbes, Aug. 8, 2026
- 69% of Americans who say transgender athletes should compete only on teams matching their sex at birth, up from 62% in 2021 — Gallup
- 15 teams in the WNBA this season — Commissioner Cathy Engelbert's Aug. 8 memo went to all of them, announcing a new task force on the topic — Fox News / OutKick, Aug. 8, 2026
- 73 million unique viewers the WNBA says it drew league-wide by the All-Star break this season — Commissioner Cathy Engelbert
- Aug. 11 the date of the Minnesota GOP Senate primary — four days after Royce White's declaration, in which he is a candidate — Fox News / OutKick, Aug. 7, 2026
For weeks, the WNBA had been living with a slow-burning controversy. Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham told ESPN in a late-July profile that she wants to “protect young girls in a locker room, or young girls in sport who shouldn’t have to go against biological men” — a comment that touched off rallies and counter-rallies outside arenas for weeks afterward.
Then, on August 7, two former NBA players turned that slow burn into a stunt with a punchline. Within hours of each other, both men declared themselves eligible for the WNBA’s 2027 draft — not because either intends to actually play, but because the league has never spelled out, in writing, who is and isn’t eligible to try.
By the next day, the league had convened a task force, the players’ union had issued a statement, and Gallup polling on the underlying question was circulating across sports media. None of it settled anything. All of it is now on the record.
The first move came from Enes Kanter Freedom, an 11-season NBA veteran, naturalized U.S. citizen, and longtime human-rights activist. In a video posted August 7, he formally declared himself eligible for the 2027 draft, framing it as a direct test of the league’s own standard: “If simply declaring who you are is all that’s required, then I meet every single requirement necessary to compete in the WNBA.”
If simply declaring who you are is all that's required, then I meet every single requirement necessary to compete in the WNBA.
Hours later, Freedom got company. Former 2012 NBA first-round pick Royce White (R-MN) — now the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Minnesota, on the ballot four days later in the Aug. 11 GOP primary — posted his own declaration, and went a step further than Freedom by threatening to take the league to court over it:
I'm now transgender. I'm going to pursue a career in the WNBA... I identify as a sometimes identifying trans woman. I wish to be treated fairly and don't want to be discriminated against. This is a serious pursuit. I realize after 35 years, I'm actually a woman.
White told Fox News Digital he identifies “as sometimes identifying as a woman for purposes of professional basketball, so I’ll be declaring for the WNBA draft in 2027 as well,” and said he is “prepared to pursue legal action if he is denied a chance to play.” No lawsuit has actually been filed. What he and Freedom share is a bet that the WNBA cannot articulate, in public, exactly why the same self-declaration standard that would apply to a transgender woman does not apply to two former NBA big men making the same argument in bad faith.

The reaction split almost immediately along predictable lines. Robin Lopez, a center who spent 16 seasons across nine NBA teams, was blunt about how the WNBA locker room would likely receive the two men:
I can't imagine anybody wants Enes Kanter or Royce White around them for even 4 minutes.
On the political and cultural commentary side, the reaction ran the other direction. Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (R) summed up the point Freedom and White were trying to make in five words: “The absurdity is self-explanatory. #ProtectWomensSports.” Former NCAA swimmer and women’s-sports activist Riley Gaines treated the stunt as a strategic masterstroke rather than a joke:
Genius. Perfect. Waiting to see which WNBA team recruits @EnesFreedom.
Inside the league itself, reactions were more mixed than the online commentary suggested. Golden State Valkyries forward Gabby Williams offered the most direct counterpoint from a current player: “I would welcome a trans athlete on my team.” Minnesota Lynx head coach and president Cheryl Reeve, who has worn a “Trans Kids Belong” shirt courtside, has been the league’s most visible pro-inclusion voice throughout the summer’s debate.
On August 8, Commissioner Cathy Engelbert sent a memo to all 15 WNBA teams acknowledging that the transgender-eligibility question “will continue to receive significant attention” and announcing a task force of team presidents and general managers to work through it. The memo did not adopt a new policy, set a timeline, or resolve the question Freedom and White’s declarations were designed to expose: the WNBA still has no written eligibility standard on the subject to point to.
The WNBA Players Association, the players’ union, pushed back on the framing of the whole episode rather than engage the eligibility question directly: “Hate, abuse, and demonization of any person or group of people, including transgender people, only fuel fear, division, and harm... we will not be used as political pawns.”
Whatever the league decides, the public is not evenly split on the underlying question. Gallup’s long-running trend shows 69% of Americans now say transgender athletes should compete only on teams matching the sex they were assigned at birth, up from 62% in 2021, while support for competing under one’s current gender identity has fallen from 34% to somewhere between 24% and 26% over the same span. That shift has been underway for years — the WNBA controversy didn’t create it, but it is now playing out against that backdrop.
Not everyone treated the declarations as a serious challenge to league policy. Former ESPN host Jemele Hill compared the stunt to Michael Scott’s fictional “I declare bankruptcy” line from The Office — a joke that sounds like it accomplishes something but legally does nothing — and accused conservative media of “inventing hypothetical, implausible scenarios” to manufacture a crisis where none exists.
Hill’s underlying point isn’t frivolous: nothing in the WNBA’s draft process obligates any team to select Freedom or White, and no team has shown any interest in doing so. But the counterargument cuts the other way, too — if the premise is genuinely implausible, the league’s own commissioner would not have needed to send a memo to all 15 teams and stand up a task force to address it within twenty-four hours of the declarations going public.
Nothing about the WNBA’s 2027 draft eligibility changed on August 7 or 8 — no team is obligated to draft anyone, and Engelbert’s task force has no deadline attached to it. What did change is that the league now has to answer, on the record, a question it had previously managed to avoid: what, specifically, makes someone eligible to play. Freedom and White forced that question into the open by exploiting the same ambiguity critics of the league’s current stance say has existed all along.
The league, for its part, is not hurting for attention while it works through the question. Engelbert has touted 73 million unique viewers league-wide at the All-Star break and 16% attendance growth this season — a reminder that the WNBA is thriving commercially through this controversy, not despite some deeper policy vacuum. Whether that continues to hold once the task force actually reports back, with every team's leadership now on record as having discussed the question formally, is the story still to be written.
On August 7, two former NBA players — Enes Kanter Freedom and Senate candidate Royce White (R-MN) — declared themselves eligible for the WNBA’s 2027 draft, using the league’s own lack of a written eligibility standard as the punchline. By August 8, Commissioner Cathy Engelbert had convened a leaguewide task force and the players’ union had issued a statement rejecting the framing altogether. No policy changed, no lawsuit has been filed, and no team has drafted anyone — but the stunt forced a question the league had managed to avoid into the open, against the backdrop of Gallup polling showing 69% of Americans now want transgender athletes competing only on teams matching their sex at birth.


